NYSSA History

The NYSSA was incorporated on Feb. 2, 1952. Industry leaders joined together as did many trades groups of that era, to promote the advancement of their craft and create standards of conduct. Events were organized to discuss changes in material and safety standards and create networks of reliable installers across the state.

The newsletter from 1974 stated “…we are standing firmly in our fight for fair sign controls and gaining respect from the various governing boards with whom we have to deal.” Sounds familiar even thirty five years later! Archives show several regional meetings In 1974 with state wide conventions held in 1977 – 79 at the Grossinger’s Resort in the Catskills. In 1972 a group of North/East state associations met and formed a regional group called the Eastern States Sign Council. This created a larger base of member support for regional events, seminars, trade shows and legislative activity. The ESSC transitioned to a national organization, known as the United States Sign Council in 1995. In a nod to its original founding members, all sign companies who join the NYSSA are automatically members of the USSC and welcome to use its national member resources.

joinPhotos and information on the earliest activities of the NYSSA are of great interest to the Executive Board for our archives. Individuals with information to share are urged to contact Secretary Judy Frolish at secretary @ NYSSignAssociation.org or mail items to the association at 26F Congress St, Saratoga Springs, NY 12866.